This is a request that you all install a carbon monoxide detector in your homes. I purchased one last week to justify buying a wireless doorbell, and I’m extremely thankful for it. My roommate had a rough wake up yesterday when it went off. She called the fire department, who took an initial scan and then evacuated our apartment. Then they sent a fireman all suited up to take another reading. According to what they found, if the carbon monoxide detector hadn’t alerted us to the extremely high levels of CO, we wouldn’t have woken up this morning.
This is the alarm I bought, and I will now recommend it to anyone and everyone: Kidde Combination Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarm with Talking Alarm ($39). It actually talks to you and lets you know if you should be worried about smoke or CO.